What kind of baby carrier is best? I get this question a lot from my new mommy friends once they see me carrying around my son in a different carrier each day. Since someone just asked me the question again, i decided to make it a blog post so i can refer people here instead of typing the same thing over and over again. So, here is my answer:
I love slings/baby carriers. I have 5 of them and use each one at a different time or for a different purpose. I just bought a ring sling for when the baby is small and wants to be held upright. They are easy to use, easy to nurse in, and convenient. I haven't used one before, but this is what i hear from my mommy friends. I have a Moby wrap, which i used when Daniel was an infant. It was hard to tie at first, but once you get the hang of it you can put it on in about 30 seconds. I didn't like it as much when Daniel was tiny because i felt he got too hot (summer baby) in all the fabric, but i absolutely LOVED it when when he was 3-9 months old. I could wear him facing in or out with his arms and legs dangling out the sides whenever we went shopping. He would love to sleep in it on our shopping trips and i didn't have to tote around the car seat. I stopped using it mainly because he got too heavy for me to carry. I never really used it on my back, but may try that more in the future. Then i got a pouch sling when Daniel was about 5 months old and too heavy for me to just carry in my arms. IT was really helpful in church and he could sit up in it and look around. I used that until i got pregnant and really couldn't carry him anymore. My 4th carrier is a Beco carrier. It is like a baby bjorn but without all the clips and is more fabric and holds the baby next to your skin. I liked this for when Daniel got older and i could easily put him on my back in it. My 5th carrier is a Hiking Backpack carrier and used just for that purpose.
I don't think i could pick just one. I have friends that swear by the Ergo/Beco style carrier and use it the whole way through from infancy to toddler. I enjoy the variety and i tell my husband that I am done buying them....for now!

Beco Baby Carrier
I love slings/baby carriers. I have 5 of them and use each one at a different time or for a different purpose. I just bought a ring sling for when the baby is small and wants to be held upright. They are easy to use, easy to nurse in, and convenient. I haven't used one before, but this is what i hear from my mommy friends. I have a Moby wrap, which i used when Daniel was an infant. It was hard to tie at first, but once you get the hang of it you can put it on in about 30 seconds. I didn't like it as much when Daniel was tiny because i felt he got too hot (summer baby) in all the fabric, but i absolutely LOVED it when when he was 3-9 months old. I could wear him facing in or out with his arms and legs dangling out the sides whenever we went shopping. He would love to sleep in it on our shopping trips and i didn't have to tote around the car seat. I stopped using it mainly because he got too heavy for me to carry. I never really used it on my back, but may try that more in the future. Then i got a pouch sling when Daniel was about 5 months old and too heavy for me to just carry in my arms. IT was really helpful in church and he could sit up in it and look around. I used that until i got pregnant and really couldn't carry him anymore. My 4th carrier is a Beco carrier. It is like a baby bjorn but without all the clips and is more fabric and holds the baby next to your skin. I liked this for when Daniel got older and i could easily put him on my back in it. My 5th carrier is a Hiking Backpack carrier and used just for that purpose.
I don't think i could pick just one. I have friends that swear by the Ergo/Beco style carrier and use it the whole way through from infancy to toddler. I enjoy the variety and i tell my husband that I am done buying them....for now!

Beco Baby Carrier
Moby Carrier


I totally agree with the Moby wrap thing. I have a similar one and there was waaay too much fabric for a summer baby. Liam didn't like being in slings and constricted so I didn't get to use the really cute ones. The only thing he ever refrained from screaming his head off in was a eddie bauer baby bjorn type carrier that he could face out in. Good post! You should post it all over the Q&A sections of mommy websites!
ReplyDeleteHere is a comment from Sam's cousin via facebook:
ReplyDeleteTried to comment on your blog, but couldn't (again)! Here's my comment anyway, regarding baby carriers: We had a Moby/Hug-a-Bub style wrap for when Josie was really tiny, but now we use the Ergo - and I absolutely loved both of them! Never could get the hang of the ring sling, there always seemed to be too much pressur...e on my neck and shoulder to be comfortable.