Sunday, January 22, 2012

Week 4: Declutter your Pantry

This week's task is to declutter your pantry and food cabinets. Just like last week check expiration dates for things like spices, baking supplies, bottled sauces you may have lots of (like my husband who collects bbq sauces but doesn't usually use them). And just like last week, try to make your next week's menu using what is in your pantry. I used to challenge myself twice a year to make meals around what was in my pantry and freezer ONLY for two weeks worth of meals. It was hard but it helped me get rid of the stuff that you buy that you never use up. Also, while you are getting rid of the outdated,make a list of the stuff you need to stock up on for baking purposes or just to have a full pantry.

Last week, someone wanted to know how to organize a spice cabinet and a few suggestions were put out there. If you have a really organized pantry or spice cabinet take a picture of it and post it on the site to inspire the rest of us. I would also suggest that you make a list of what spices you do have so you can keep track better for recipes and grocery shopping. I have two of several spices that I don't use that often because I didn't remember I had it.

If you have extra time this week and haven't finished the previous tasks, then finish up. Or you can challenge yourself and plan your menu for the next month. There are a few ladies on here that do it and I am sure they can share some tips if some of you are interested. I will say, the few months I have done it during the last year, really helped me in my grocery shopping and planning.

One more week in the kitchen next week and then we are moving on!

No comments:

Post a Comment